Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Catherine Sublett


The REAL Audition
            “Don’t worry,” my mom assured me, “you’ll do great. Besides, you’ve been to an audition before.”
            “Mom,” I groaned, “that wasn’t a real audition. That was something silly where I sat down and sang a few notes. This is way bigger.” I was walking down a dark hallway at Roanoke College with my mom and my sister, Caroline, to the waiting area for my first audition. Technically, I had already auditioned for the Roanoke College Children’s Choir, but it was just me and Mrs. Davidson, sitting down in a small room where I sang a few notes. This was huge. I was auditioning for the most important role in the history of performing. I was going to be Gretl in the choir’s production of The Sound of Music. Caroline probably had a good chance at being one of the kids, but it was only my first year in choir and I was seven. I didn’t think I could make it, but I would try.
            As we stepped into the lobby, I saw a few other kids filling out audition forms to be various members of the Von Trapp family. Thank goodness not very many people are here. I thought, breathing a sigh of relief.
            “Girls, lets measure your height so we can start filling out these forms,” my mom gestured to a stack of papers. We picked up two forms and went to the side of the room where my mom measured us standing against the wall. For the first time in my entire life, I did not stand up straight or try to make myself look taller. I knew what role I wanted, and if I was the shortest one there, my chances of being the littlest kid in the Von Trapp family would, hopefully, increase.
            After I filled in all the blanks and signed my name, I sat down in one of the old, dusty, red-cushioned chairs. It was then that I realized that quite a few people had arrived since I last took a look around the room. So many people of ages seven to eighteen were standing around, filling out their papers, pacing nervously, or sitting in one of those red chairs. There were a lot of people, but the room was almost silent. No one was talking, except for a few mothers whispering words of encouragement to their children. The air conditioning hummed on and off every few minutes, and occasionally, a few more people arrived. The doors to enter the audition room stood on the wall opposite where I was sitting like palace guards, heavy and unmoving. The lobby was dimly lit by only the light from the windows, and it was somewhat difficult to see people’s expressions. I shivered in my short sleeved shirt.
            “Caitlin Johnson,” someone poked their head out of the doors. The auditions had started. “Taylor Powell, Ryan Green, Sydney Ogle,” a few more names were read before, “Catherine Sublett.” I didn’t react immediately, but I was able to actually get up out of my seat and walk into the audition room.
            I wasn’t sure if they knew I was in there, so I said, “Hello,” in a voice as quite as a mouse. Kevin Jones and Mrs. Davidson looked up from their notes.
            “Hi Catherine,” Mr. Jones replied. “Are you ready?” For a minute, I froze. I was a possum, playing dead and hoping they wouldn’t notice my colorless face as white as my bedroom sheets. But then I slowly nodded, and the music started. The pianist began playing      So Long, Farewell, the audition song for the kids, and I started to sing. I knew you were supposed to move around on the stage and use all of your space, but I wasn’t very good at that, so I mostly stood still and focused on my voice. I was so nervous, but after I started, it was much easier. I got to the solo line intended for Gretl, and sang my little heart out.
            “The sun has gone to bed and so must I,” I sang in a somewhat shaky voice. “So long, farewell, goodnight.” I was pretty sure I hit the last note, and I thought they liked it, so I walked out of the room feeling good. I had done it, I tackled my first real audition.

I anxiously awaited the results for two weeks that felt like years, and eventually, I found out that I had been given the role of Gretl. I smiled and giggled and laughed out loud, so happy to be a part of the production. The weeks of practicing and waiting had paid off, because I achieved my biggest goal. I hoped everyone liked me in the performances, but I was more focused on how I felt. I was proud. I had done something that mattered to me, and it felt wonderful.

3 comments: