Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Neely Hurst


The Big Apple
One by one we struggled to drag our luggage up the rusty steps of the train. The wheels of each bag slowly lugged along behind us as we made our way to what would be our seats for the next seven hours. We sat in the uncomfortably cramped seats and awaited our departure. The train finally pulled out of the station, and were on our way.
As I sat impatiently, I focused on the relaxing rhythm of the wheels racing along the tracks. The sight of the blurred trees filled my vision as we made our way towards our destination. The longest seven hours of my life was finally over when arrived in New York City. I stepped off of the train, and into the musty air of the underground train station. My dad led the way as we made our way through the densely packed crowd of passengers exiting the train.
We made our way outside and were emerged in the overwhelming sea of people. I stood on the sidewalk in amazement as a countless amount of people bumped passed me. The continuous sound of car horns filled my ears as I observed the rush of the city around me. The sun was setting beyond the beautifully built buildings. As we got to our hotel I was still in awe of how alive and beautiful this city was.
We woke up the next morning desperate for adventure. We left the hotel and just started walking with no destination in mind. We walked along the shaded sidewalk, the air was warm and still, as the tall buildings around us blocked out any wind. Before we knew it we were walking through Central Park. Everything around us was green and alive. There were people strolling by, riding their bikes, running, it was the most beautiful place I had ever seen. It seemed as though we were in a movie.
            The delightful scent of all the food trucks wafted through the air. The smell of both sweet and savory foods overtook my senses. I was immediately drawn to the waffle food truck. Of course I ordered the waffle that was named “da bomb.” Da bomb was a warm fluffy waffle beneath a generously sized scoop if creamy vanilla ice cream, and topped with a delicate drizzle of rich chocolate sauce. I bit into da bomb and was in pure bliss. The ice cream was perfectly melted from the warmth of the perfectly made waffle, and the chocolate sauce added the perfect amount of sweetness. Da bomb was simply perfect.
The next few days of our trip were spend wandering around the amazing city. New York City was way beyond what I had ever imagined it would be.


5 comments:

  1. What a story, enjoyed reading it:) Loved the profile picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photo, must've had a good photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story, must have been just a touching moment!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story! Sounds like a fun trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hot picture buddy and the story was great!

    ReplyDelete