Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Lane Jamison


The Big Hill
            It was a cold December day and my cousin was over at my house. It was cold and the snow had iced over and we were bored with setting inside. My sister and cousin went outside to play on the ice. I being the little tagalong, threw on an old pair of cracked rain boots with no socks and a thin jacket and followed. We were having a grand old time throwing chunks of ice over the bank and watching them explode into fragments of light as they hit the trees. We were sliding here and there. I was as curious as a monkey when I was younger, and had to get closer to the edge of the bank each time I would throw a chunk of ice over the bank for a better look.
            Then there was that one time when I got a little too close to the edge of the bank. Like a shot out of a rifle I went hurdling down the mountain. I was bouncing this way and that suddenly I got turned around and my boots got filled with snow and my feet were freezing. My cousin, who was still at the top, not knowing what to do yelled to me “I’m coming to get you”. With that he jumped over the edge of the bank and came hurtling down the bank to get me.
               Since he was heavier he took a more direct course to the bottom but ended up at the same place. Standing at the bottom looking up the hill was Mount Everest, an impossible climb. Then we started the arduous task of trying to get back up to the top. We would get about five feet up the bank when suddenly we would slip and scoot back down the bank. When we figured out that it was hopeless and we weren’t getting anywhere so he yelled up to my sister “GET YOUR MOM”. My sister ran into the house and got my mom. She came outside and saw where we were. She ran inside and grabbed a cane and then began to make her way down the hill. She would stab the cane in the ground and slowly make her way down and then stab the cane in the ground again and again. When she finally made it down I was cold, wet, and sobbing.
Then we tried to drag ourselves straight up the hill again with the aid of the cane. But once again we only made it a little ways before we slid back down. By now I was so cold I thought I had hypothermia. After several fruitless tries we gave up and decide to try to think about another way to get up. Finally we got the idea the go over into the woods and pull ourselves up. After hours of tedious works we finally made to the top tired, wet, and in my case freezing cold.
Looking back it didn’t really have that much effect on me physically but it sure did mentally. Any time I go outside when it’s cold I make sure I have a coat with me. All in all, even though it did not have a huge physical impact, and only had a minor mental impact it has gave me a good story to tell people.



1 comment: