Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Hannah Mixon


Suddenly A Role Model
“Turn to the next page in your journal everyone. Now, I want you all to write about someone you look up to or aspire to be like.”
            My dance teacher’s words hung in my ear while a dozen little hands started writing away. I glanced around the room, watching each girl pour their hearts into their journals. As they wrote, you could see excitement ignite in their eyes like a flame. Little did I know, that what one little girl wrote would completely open my eyes to how much one’s actions can mean to those around them.
            “If I had to pick one person to look up to, it would be Hannah,” the girl said, “And it’s not because she is just a good dancer, even though she is, it’s because of how kind and supportive she is to all of us.” Those words sent me into a whirlwind of memories. They reminded me of times that had felt like any other day to me, but had meant so much to these girls.
            I thought back to the summer, when I had just cleaned out all of my old dance clothes. I brought the clothes that I had grown out of to the studio and the faces of the girls shown brighter than the sun. Almost immediately, a sea of children flocked to the bag, digging through it as if they were searching for the prize at the bottom of the cereal box. Eager chatter soon filled the room. I never really thought about how excited they truly were to get my old clothes. But just the other day, when three girls came in wearing my old clothes and showing them off to everyone, I didn’t even have the words to express how much that meant to me. Seeing someone cherishing something that you once cherished yourself is worth so much more than the item itself.
            Recently, a lot of younger children have been asking for my help on their solos or on different steps they have been working on in class, and although I was honored that they asked me, it didn’t feel like anything out of the ordinary. Then came last week. A little girl came up to me, asking if I could teach her new dance steps, because she wanted to “audition for a dance show on TV, and I was the only person she wanted to help her.” I was beyond amazed that I had such an impact on this one little girl that she put her dreams in my hand, expecting me to help make them a reality.
            People always say how fulfilling teaching is, and it is absolutely true. Without teaching I would never have created a bond with such amazing children. Catching their wondering stares in the studio mirror, or watching the joy on their faces when they finally get a difficult trick that they have been working on, reminds me of how truly lucky I am. These girls have basically become my little sisters, and every day I strive to make sure that I am the best role model I can be for them. Through each and every day, I carry with me these memories, always making sure of who I’m influencing with my actions. To me, it’s not just about teaching the steps or correcting their mistakes, it’s also about creating a connection between one another.

            “Okay everyone, get back in the studio, we’ve got a lot of work to do today.” And with that, my dance teacher signaled the start of another amazing day in the place that I love with my second family.

5 comments: