Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Jaren Lowery


The time I moved to Virginia
Today was the big moving day. We lived in Wadsworth Ohio and I was in Kindergarten. When I moved to Virginia I was five years old. It’s hard getting u and moving over 500 miles away from your close family and friends. I didn’t want to move to Virginia. Even though I lived in Ohio for a couple of months it felt like I had made long lasting family and friends. I didn’t know any one that was going to be at my new school. Only being five years old sure I could still make plenty more friends but it wasn’t about that. It was about separating from my best friends. All I heard these days were it will be fine or you’ll make new friends. Those words honestly made it worse.
            The time became shorter and it eventually became time to move away. “Make sure you have all the boxes from upstairs,” my mom exclaimed. I remember that exact moment because I broke down in tears. You could see the despair on my face and see that I wanted to kill myself at this point. “If we move to Virginia I’m not talking ever again,” I said.
“Okay we will see how long that last,” my mom said in a bubbly voice.
“She can’t go over five minutes,” my brother said.
            As soon as we entered the car I was silent. When I was riding by all I saw was street signs saying welcome to Virginia. Every street sign I saw made my head want to pop off. The truth was like a bad taste on my tongue. My heart immediately dropped and skipped around my chest, because I realized this moment was becoming real. We entered the state and not much later till we were at our new house.
            We arrived at our house and I couldn’t believe what I saw. Our new home made me want to barf. It was nothing like our big house in Ohio. I went from having my own room to sharing a bathroom with my mom. This new arrangement was not going to work for me. Going from a big house and downsizing was not my favorite thing in the world. “Help me unload the bags from the car,” my mom said.
            “No!” I shouted with a loud voice.
Those were my very first words in Virginia from what I can remember. We settled in and got most of the stuff in our new home. Once we got everything moved in we had our first family dinner in Roanoke Virginia. It just didn’t feel the same as Ohio.
            Two days had pass`ed and it was my first day of school. I dreaded this moment. My mom walked me into the school down the stairs and we arrived outside my kindergarten door. My mom told me to enjoy my first day of school and not to be grumpy all the time. She continued to walk me in the classroom and the teacher came and greeted us. It was not a great start to moving to Roanoke at all.
 I have made a great group of friends that I can call family. Roanoke has taught me a lot of lessons that I can learn from. After all moving to Virginia wasn’t the worst thing that has happened to me this day. This has benefited me knowing that moving isn’t the worst thing that can happen to you, and sometimes changes are a good thing. I didn’t think that I would like Virginia but it eventually grew on me. Living here has been very beneficial in some ways. Till this day I still miss some things from Ohio, but Roanoke has taught me a vast majority of useful things that have been thankful.


7 comments: