Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Grace Kennedy


Not Just a New School                                          
          The day I came to HVMS was an important day that I remember clearly. Things were just not going to be the same. In 2nd grade I went to a public school, then in 3rd grade I was home schooled. I later went to a private school from 4th grade to 7th grade.  I was scared about the different school, making friends, and making good grades.
I came to HVMS in 8th grade and I was so nervous because I had been going to a private school for many years.
My mom said, “It’s just a new school.”
I told her, “No, it’s not. It’s completely different.”
I wasn’t used to so many people. In my private school I had about 100 people and that was for kindergarten to 12th grade. We had individual time with the teachers so school was definitely easier academically.  We had no homework and a very long lunch. I was worried about making new friends, until I actually came to the school.
            The school work here is a little harder than I’m used to, but over time I adjusted. The first day of school I was nervous, but then in all my classes I had at least one person that was really nice. In middle school, surprisingly, I got straight A’s, but then things changed when I came to the high school.
My mom said, “You need to concentrate and study more because schoolwork is important.”
 School started getting harder and I lost concentration on schoolwork and started thinking about other things.
            I met many nice people at Hidden Valley Middle School. In just a few weeks I had more friends than I made at my old school in a few years. I was so excited about my new great friends. I miss my old friends, but I would rather give them up than to give up the ones I have now.
            My sister said reassuringly, “Don’t worry you’ll make many friends because you always did at the other schools we went to.”
            Not convinced, I gave a half smile, “Thanks.”
Most people here are so nice and the good thing about public school is that there are so many people so you don’t have to worry about fitting in because there is always at least one person like you. I really like that about a public school. There are many good things about a public school.
            I really enjoyed going to HVMS and I like going to the high school. I can’t wait to meet more people and finally graduate! Middle school was a lot of fun and I kind of wish I was still there, but the high school is a lot of fun too. Even though I was nervous about the new school, making friends, and making good grades after coming to the school I found out that was a silly thing to be worried about.




2 comments: