Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Logan Cabay


How I Saw Christmas
Like the chilly winter wind outside on December 25th, Christmas blows past the homes of many.  When that happens, all young boys and girls wait for their presents under the Christmas tree.
Unless of course, they’re the Grinch.  What else could you call someone who doesn’t like Christmas?  I get that some people celebrate other holidays, and that’s fine with me.  Like Hannakkuh, with those potato pancakes, latkes.  They still shouldn’t dislike Christmas though.  Even the Grinch helped restore the Christmas spirit when he realized the beauty of it.
My own personal Christmas experience started from a very young age and feels like it’s gone on since World War II.  I don’t even remember some Christmas days, but I definitely remember some and their surrounding preparation.
When I was little, about 6 or 7, I was always waiting for the Christmas season.  I wanted to open the presents and the stockings, and I remember waiting for my parents to get up so we could do it.  I remember feeling the wrappers of the presents in my hands, which were actually kind of rough and crinkly, but I would sometimes play with them after the presents were opened.
I remember the feeling of Christmas.  I could smell the warm, chocolatey scent of cookies my mom left for Santa.  She let me have some as well, and they were creamy and soft, especially where there were chocolate chips. I remember the bright red and green of the Christmas lights and the dark green of the tree and bushes that decorated the house at Christmas time, even though they were all artificial.
Back then I whole-heartedly believed in Santa Claus.  I mean it’s obvious that a fat man could go through far over a million chimneys in one night without getting stuck in one, then leave in a sleigh pulled by flying reindeer, duh.  It makes complete sense.  So does the fact that his base is in the North Pole even though that is over the Arctic Ocean.
  I don’t even remember why I did.  I guess I thought he was some sort of angel sent to deliver presents because it was the birthday of Jesus.  He probably did it because it was a symbol for how Jesus gives to all of us.  I do not believe in Santa anymore, but I still believe in Jesus.
I remember some discussions I had with my parents about Christmas. 
“I love these presents mommy” I said excitedly.
“Great, but let’s not lose sight of the real meaning of Christmas” she replied.
I proved I learned from her when, several years later, when everyone had opened their stockings and were about to head to the presents, I said,
“Hold on, I think we should celebrate Jesus and pray to him”, and we did.
Another moral Mom told me was
“Don’t forget those who have much less than we do.  We need to think of those people who don’t get anything for Christmas.”  That’s why I’ve been working with Samaritan’s Purse on Operation Christmas Child for the past 4 years.  It’s where we put supplies and gifts into boxes and those boxes are shipped to Africa to a child with few toys.
The morals taught me something, Christmas isn’t about getting, it’s about giving.  I know it sounds cheesy enough to make a pizza, but it’s true.  Christmas has stayed with me my whole life, and I remember much of it.  I remember the decorations, the gifts, the months of entertainment playing with them afterwards, and the food.  It was so delectable and gratifying, especially when I go to my grandparent’s house for Christmas and the whole family brings sweets.  Those might be the very best days of my life, at least food-wise.  The most important thing though, is the birth of Jesus and how he wants us to give to others. 
Christmas was a great experience for me, just like for millions of other kids around the world.  It is a fun time, but it also teaches good morals, and I hope other kids can learn the same morals and have the same fun as I do.  I hope that they too, will see the joy of Christmas.  I hope that one day, Christmas haters will become like the Grinch and find the joy of Christmas.  I hope that one day, Christmas will spread so far that people from all corners of the Earth will celebrate this great holiday, and continue the joy all year round.



8 comments:

  1. Your story was very descriptive and I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great story, descriptive, and vivid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your profile picture and good story

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you write that quote on the board about how you shouldn't give up on your dreams?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading this almost more than I enjoy Christmas. Great story Logan! I like the profile picture too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This story was great Logan! I love what you wrote about, and you're a very good writer.

    ReplyDelete