Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Morgan Thomas


New School
            There are a lot of new changes on the first day of school, but I never thought I’d be the new kid. Winter Break of 2011 was a complete blur. I had just found out that I was moving to a completely new town, house, and school. I was so nervous about moving ten hours away and also having to make new friends.   I didn’t know if my life would be changing for the better or for the worse.
The first day of school was so nerve-racking. The hallways were filled with chatter from the other students. As I was walking throughout the hallways to find my classroom, the stares of the other students gleamed upon me. Although prior to moving to Virginia, we became friends with another set of twins that went to Cave Spring Elementary. My parent’s realtor that assisted our family with the move, had grandchildren who were also twins, Kacie and Kellie, the same age as my sister and I.  We exchanged email addresses and got to know them by corresponding prior to moving here.
            As I settled into my seat for the first class of the day, the teacher started to take attendance. Everyone was talking to their friends about what they got for Christmas, and what they did over the holiday break. The only person I knew was Kacie. I sat their quietly until the teacher called my name. I could feel the stares I was getting from everyone else, because I was the new kid. When it was time for lunch I was so nervous. I had no clue who to sit with let alone how to get to the cafeteria.  Walking into the lunchroom, I could smell the scent of the pizza. The empty seats overwhelmed me as everyone piled into the lunchroom. I tried to find my sister, Kacie, and Kellie.
“Miss, what are you doing?”
 Is the only thing I heard. I was so embarrassed. I had no clue you were supposed to sit with your class during lunch. My face turned bright red, and the whole room got silent. I could feel the stares of everyone surrounding me, as I just wanted to run out of the room.
The last two classes of the day were math, and science. Since those were the hardest classes of the day, I was so nervous about what was going to happen. I was the first one into the room. The teacher was a mean looking, old man who looked like he would rather be anywhere else but in school. I started to get my supplies out of my backpack, as I hear a deep voice saying something to me.
“Please stop making so much noise while I am talking.”
That’s when I knew this was going to be the class I dread. Finally the last bell rung, and I knew it was the end of the day.  I was so excited to tell my parents everything that happened. I sprinted out of the building to see my mom, who was waiting for me in the front parking lot. She started to ask me a so many questions I didn’t know where to begin.
“How was your day? Did you meet anybody? Do you like your teachers?”
I started to reassure my mom that I had a good day, and I couldn’t wait to go back tomorrow.
Although moving to a new school and being the new kid was very difficult it was definitely a life changing experience. I remember this specific moment in my life because it was very challenging. Meeting new people, and saying goodbye to old friends was very hard, but in the in the end it is very reassuring to realize this was the perfect move for me and my family.
           
           
           
           
           

            

7 comments: