Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Josh Munsey


Toe Down

It was about five years ago, and I was about 10 years old. I was in the fourth grade, and I was about to head out to the park. It was around the beginning of fall, and the leaves were just beginning to fall. It was the time of year that everywhere that you looked you either saw pumpkins or some creepy costume that makes your stomach turn like a washing machine. The trees were a colorful array of orange, yellow, and brown leaves. Before we left the driveway, my father asked,” Josh, did you bring a jacket.” I then replied saying “Yes sir.” We were then and there ready to go to the park and play. The car way was very peaceful since we were able to hang with our father. On the way, I was able to take in all of my surroundings and just relax.  Once we got there, I got out of the car and took a deep breath. A breath so deep that I was able taste the air. It smelled of burning wood from a cookout and the pizza that we had brought with us to eat. It was right before basketball season so I had brought a ball so that I could work on my shooting and handles. After a while of playing, we then all gathered together to eat some of the pizza and just enjoy nature. After we were done eating, I decided to go and play with my brothers and sisters on the playground and swings. We were swinging for a good while, but we then decided to play tag with a couple of kids that looked like they just came back from an 80’s concert. When we finished a rousing round of rambunctious tag, I decided to just walk around on the playground. While I was at the top, something had caught my eye. It was one of the prettiest girl that I’ve ever seen. Her smile was on that made the stars seem like a glow in the dark sticker in the middle of the day. I was of course nervous to say something, so I decided to show off in some way that would just knock her dead. So I thought to myself “well, I’m really high up, so what if I jumped off.” That was the first of many dumb ideas yet to come. I had just broken my toe. It had felt weird, but it didn’t hurt for some reason, so I had decided to run to my dad since it felt weird. Although on the way there, my entire foot had just started to hurt really badly. It was so bad, that I had started to limp. It felt like 100 needles in my back, which I’ve had, and once I got there I told my dad that my foot was hurting really bad. So my dad decided to take me home. Once I had gotten home, my mom and dad had propped up my foot and put some ice on it. It was very hard to get sleep that night because toe was throbbing like a hammer on a tightly wound drum. Tomorrow morning, we went to the doctor and I had gotten some x-rays which told had told me that I had broken my toe. I was terrible, because I wasn’t able to play basketball that year. At least I had gotten some ice-cream at the end of it. So basically, the lesson is that you shouldn’t have to impress some girl, because they should love you for who you are and not for what you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment