Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Hayley Harris


The First Day of High School
            I woke up at 6:30 am and thought to myself, “Today is going to be amazing!”, but little did I know that wasn’t exactly how my day was going to go. I got ready, picked out a cute outfit, did my makeup, and was ready to head out the door for school. I was too nervous to eat breakfast, although my mom begged me to eat something. I grabbed my book bag, got in the passenger’s seat, and then my mom drove me to school. The whole ride to school the nerves were building up inside of me. I couldn’t stop thinking about getting lost in that big school. My mom pulled up to the front of the school and dropped me off. I was officially a high schooler.

            I walked into the high school and immediately looked for someone to go stand with so I didn’t look clueless. I found my friend Brittney and we started walking around the hallways searching for familiar faces. The hallways were full of people who towered over me and people who shoved their way through the halls. After the bell rang at 8:15, I pulled out my schedule and started walking down the stairs. I started walking to my A1 Spanish 2 class, but I got lost in the school because I went down the wrong hallway. By the time the bell rang, I ended up on the opposite side of the school. I found a teacher in the hallway who guided me to my Spanish class. I didn’t catch her name but she had short brown hair with glasses and was very kind. I was late to class, but it was okay because it was only the first day.

In my first block, my nerves calmed down because I had at least made it to my first class. In Spanish, we mainly reviewed old material and talked about what we would be learning that year. After first block was over, I walked to Geography with Brittney and Alexys. That class went well and then it was on to lunch. Lunch was very crowded and finding a table to sit at was hard. The lunch room smelled of sandwiches and cafeteria food. It looked like a zoo full of teenagers roaming everywhere, pushing and shoving. I walked around the lunch room with my lunch box looking for a table to sit at. I finally found a table to sit at with Alexys, Catherine and Brittney. Lunch at the high school was very different from middle school. In middle school lunch was separated by grade, but in high school, all of the grades are combined. Overall, lunch was fun and it gave me a chance to have a break from the stressful day.

The second half of the day went well but I got lost going to my 3rd block, but a teacher helped me again. All of the teachers were very nice and helpful. After 4th block was dismissed, I met a friend and we walked out to the buses together. All of the yellow buses were lined up and everybody was searching for their bus number. My friend and I saw our bus number, 61, immediately. As I got on the bus, I was greeted by my sweet bus driver and then my friend and I found a seat. We talked about the school day and how everything went. My bus ride took about 45 minutes, but we eventually came to my stop.  As I got off the bus, I walked inside my house and felt a big relief off of my shoulders. I thought to myself, “I just survived the first day of high school!”.

At the beginning of my first day of high school I was very nervous and scared of what could go wrong. But at the end of the day, I realized that I had survived and that maybe it wouldn’t be so bad after all. Although I got lost a couple times, the day was still okay and I knew it wasn’t as bad as it could’ve been. I stressed out a lot and was extremely nervous, but I survived my first day of high school and that was all I could’ve asked for.

1 comment: