Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Keller Coolbaugh


A Memorable Ride

“One more turn until we’re on the street of the house!” My dad excitedly proclaims prior to our arrival to our friends lake house. The car still smells like Wendy’s due to our short food break on the way up. As we pull into the driveway, I could start to see the beautiful blue lake, and boy I am extremely excited. I’ve been going to the lake ever since I was around four or five, and I started wakeboarding, my favorite hobby, about five years ago. The lake has always been one of my favorite places to go to, for I just love the atmosphere, and the chill, relaxing vibe with it. Although I was pumped about wakeboarding, relaxing, and tubing, I was also avid for a big lake milestone for me. A couple days before we left for the lake, I finished and earned my boating license, which gives me the authority to drive a jet-ski. I have ridden in the back seat before and I’ve also driven with somebody with me, but I’m looking forward to driving one all by myself with full responsibility.
Immediately I ask, “Dad, can I please drive the jet ski this weekend?” I asked this because for the last couple weekends he didn’t let me even though I had my license.
I’m sure he wants to relax so I felt bad asking, but he says “Yes, I guess I’ll show you how this weekend”. I took a look over at the two expensive jet-skis calmly flowing up and down with the waves of the water, and I could feel my heart beating outside of my chest with excitement. After relaxing, eating, and wakeboarding for a while, I became impatient and I went over to my dad to ask if we could go. “Yes, we need to get gas in them anyways”, he told me. I run over to the jet-ski I was going to take, and I sat down while admiring it. The seat instantly absorbed me and a placed my hands over the black handles that had impressive grip-support. I put my feet down on the black floor board and I feel them slowly hurt more and more as they burn the soles of my feet. He gets on and hands me the mustard yellow key with the word “Sea Doo” faded on it. I put the key in and the large, powerful machine sounds a high pitched beep twice. As we pull away, the amazing smell of burgers and hot dogs slowly vanishes. Right as we got out of the cove, I gunned it, and that mistake started off my assessment poorly. I felt him yank on my life jacket and pull me back as he screamed “Keller, Sttoooopppp!” I came to a sudden halt, which probably jerked him more than gunning it did, so I apologize and focus so he’ll let me drive on my own.
                We’re finishing up the lesson, and I’ve been doing well after my rookie mistake. After we get back to the house, he states that I did well, or well enough at least, and says that after lunch I can go out again on the jet-ski, but this time I can go by myself. We have a delicious meal for lunch, and although the jet-ski ride was great, I was so happy to come back to the satisfying scent of a cookout. I decided to go with a hotdog and a burger, and as I bite down into the hot dog, I feel the grease splash all over the inside my mouth. My dad turns off the grill, the smoke dies in the air, I relax and hang out on the dock, and then I prepare to take the jet-ski out again. I was so happy to be able to take the jet-ski out by myself. I got ready to leave, and I was so eager to drive that I gunned it way too early again.  With no hesitation, I sped through the wavy lake. I felt the cool breeze brush across my face, and my hair was flying back so much to the point where I thought it was going to fly off away from me. Occasionally, I would hit a wave large enough to capsize the whole vehicle, and I went straight through them as loads of cool water splashed on to my body, which was a nice refreshment from the hot, melting sun. As I drive by other boats, skiers, and jet-skis, I wave and smile from ear to ear because I’m so excited and happy.
I stayed out for a while, so I could get could practice in and I also didn’t have a set time to be back by. I hit the waves perfectly at a 45 degree angle, and every time I hit a wave and get good air, I hear the engine of the watercraft roar through the air. Various boats off in the distance are heading toward me so I pulled off to the right to let them go. I saw the blue water go by me so fast, as I sped across the lake. Then, the sun began to set and I stop to admire and take some pictures. When it started to get dark, I made my way back to the dock. I pull in and park, and when I took the key out of the machine, the chainsaw-sounding engine purrs as it quickly dies. I go back inside and immediately hug and thank my parents for trusting me.
“No problem Keller, you deserved it after all your patient waiting. We’re glad you had such a blast!” My parents happily say.
I tell everyone about it and I brag about the amazing boats I hit waves behind saying exaggerated nonsense like “There was one wave I hit and I was in the air for so long that I counted my ABC’s all the way up to M!” I had an amazing time and I wanted everyone to know.

                Five months later, I look back and think about how much fun that day was. After that point I kept driving over and over again, and eventually I was allowed to take some of my friends on with me. Learning how to drive and driving the jet-ski was a huge milestone for me, similar to when I get my license to drive a car. I’ll never forget the thrill and excitement of some of my first driving memories: hitting massive waves, falling off, funny moments, reaching top speed, and all the other everlasting moments. 

5 comments:

  1. Wow, even you have your flaws. Good job with your narrative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! great story! seems like it was definitely memorable for you

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is hotter than bay's heatstroke. Looking forward to more from you.

    ReplyDelete