Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Kim LaPrad


What’s Wrong With Girls Playing Football?
            Ever since I was a little girl I wanted to play football. It was my dream, and I loved to watch and play it. My favorite college team was Clemson, and I wanted to play for that team. I was told that I could not play football. People always laughed and said you don’t see girls playing in the NFL and college teams. I was told girls are too fragile and should not be rough. That never discouraged me. I could just imagine carrying the football across the green field all the way to the touchdown zone. People chanting my name “KIM, KIM, KIM!” as I run down the field. Scoring the winning touchdown as the salty sweat trickles down my face. Looking up to the stands filled with people from all over the world jumping up and hollering all for me.
            I would always ask to play football. My younger brother played for rec, the school, and all-stars. I wanted to be like him, and I was tired of being told no. I asked one of my friends and he said laughing “You’re kidding right. Girls don’t play football. It is only for boys.” There was this girl who played for the middle school team, and she was being moved to the high school junior varsity team. She had broad shoulders, darker blonde hair, and she was actually pretty tall. She hit harder than most, and she also trained just as hard as they did. That would make her the only girl on the high school team.
            As I thought more about it I wanted to play so badly. I thought if she could do it I can too.  I asked some of my guy football friends and they said “We don’t really want girls on the team because it makes us look weak.” I said “Girls can do the same thing boys can do. For example, guys do cheerleading. I think girls should be given the same chance guys get. I can throw a spiral, take a hit, and hit people. Over the last few years girls playing high school football has increased.”
            One day I was asked by a couple of my brother’s friends if I wanted to play football with them. It was tackle football, and I had never played tackle football. I excitedly say “Yes! What position do I play?” They all looked at me like wow she knows something about football. I was told I was all time quarterback, then I was switched to a receiver, running back, and a fullback. They said surprised “Wow! You are actually really good. You should join the team.” I said “Well I would, but it isn’t up to me.” They had developed more respect for me, and included me more. From then on they let me play football with them.
            I was astonished that the boys let me play with them. It gave me more self-confidence and hope. I begged my dad for like the one hundredth time “May I please play football. I know I am a girl, but I am capable of playing.” He said “I know you are capable, but I don’t want you getting hurt. You are a girl, and you are way too smart.” I had lost all the confidence I just gained. I stomped off to my room, and you could hear the loud thumps as I stomped upstairs. I went upstairs to my room, and sat there disappointed. I never got to play football, but it never stopped me from asking.
            Now I know I will probably never get to play football for a team. People think it a sport for boys, and often judge girls who want to play. I still watch and play football with some of my brother’s friends. Just because most people don’t think girls should play football doesn’t mean I am ready to give up. When I get older I want to encourage girls to go after their dreams, and not always let what other people say bother them. Just because I can’t do what I dream doesn’t mean other people shouldn’t. I might even form an all-girls football team, and we would go against other boy teams. I would do this to prove girls are capable of the same things as guys. I think people should encourage girls to do what they dream of, not discourage them.

           
           
           

            

2 comments: