Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Jake Harvey


The Time I Injured My Ankle

          It was a brisk fall day, you could smell the fall air and I could feel the stiffness of the turf under my cleats. We had just broken the huddle after we called our play, and I ran to go get into my position. The center snapped the ball and I ran down the field to catch the ball. I saw the ball floating in the air and it fell right into my hands. I squeezed the football against my body and ran as fast as I could, but someone caught up to me and tackled me from behind, falling on my foot. I felt my ankle pop and when I tried to walk towards the sideline, all I could do was hop on the other foot. My ankle felt like someone had hit it with a hammer. My coaches helped me towards the bench where I put a freezing pack of ice onto my already swollen foot. I tried to jog it out to see if I could enter the game again, but the pain was too much.
Immediately after the game, we drove to the hospital to see if this was a serious injury. After waiting for a little bit, my name was shouted through the room and I walked through this door with a nurse. We then walked into a bigger room with lots of machines I had never seen before, I laid down on a table. The machine roared and spewed bright lights all over the room. I exited the room with the nurse on the pair of crutches I was given and went back to the waiting room. We were all called back into the office with the nurse who had given me the x-ray and then a doctor walked in.
The doctor started off with, “I have bad news for you Jake.”
I said, “What is it doc?”
Then the doctor said, “Well after looking at your x-ray, your ankle has been broken right down the middle.”
I said, “Will I have to be put in a cast?”
Finally, the doctor said, “Unfortunately, yes.”
All of this was very disappointing for me. It was near the beginning of the season, so I only got to play four games that year. I also had to be in a cast for two months and a walking boot for another month. My mom was able to comfort me though.
She walked in the room and said, “Although this may seem bad now, your ankle will be even stronger once you’re out of your cast. You will be healthy before basketball season too.”
I responded with, “But I want to play football.”
She reassured me with, “There is always next season!”
It was now winter and all of the colorful leaves had fallen and white snow began to take their place. I was now out of my walking boot and practicing for the basketball season. I showed up to my first practice with a large ankle brace on and my coach was concerned.
Coach said in a worried voice, “Woah Jake, are you going to be able to play this season?”
I responded with, “Yes coach, my ankle feels just fine.”
Then my coach said, “Are you sure? That ankle brace makes your foot look like a robots foot!”
I reassured him with, “I’ll be just fine coach.”
My experience of breaking my ankle was not fun, but I believe it prepared me for any future injuries that I may have. In the long run, this injury may have benefitted me.



          

12 comments:

  1. Wow! Great story Jake, I look forward to more writings by you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Great story Jake, I look forward to more writings by you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems life changing, I was on the edge of my seat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you've recovered from your life changing ankle injury Jakie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just a touching story!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great story Jake, I love the dialog with your doctor

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember moments with you, your ankle cast, and jubal. Lol.Anyways, this brings back great memories and its interesting to see your perspective of when it actually happened.

    ReplyDelete